How will the school prepare and support my child when joining St Patrick’s RC Primary School or transferring to a new school?
Many strategies are in place to enable your child’s transition to be as smooth as possible. These include:
- Discussions between the previous or receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving.
- All pupils attend a transition session where they spend some time with their new class teacher.
- Additional visits are also arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.
- Mrs Ramshaw is always willing to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the school.
- Secondary school staff visit pupils prior to them joining their new school.
- Mrs Ramshaw liaises with the SENCOs from the secondary schools to pass on information regarding SEN pupils.
- Where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting may be arranged with Mrs Ramshaw, Mrs Gill, the secondary school SENCO, the parents/carers and where appropriate the pupil.
Whether starting school for the very first time, moving on to a secondary school or just moving to a new year group we recognise that these transitions can be very daunting for children with SEN and we therefore take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.
We have links with a number of local schools and during the summer term all children will have transition visits. These will vary depending upon need. Some children excitedly move from one year group to another with ease and are ready to embrace new challenges.
Other children can become quite anxious and find change difficult to manage and in these instances a more structured, individual transition programmes will be created by our SENCO, Mrs Ramshaw. If your child has expressed concerns about transition please speak to your child’s class teacher.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.